Merriam-Webster Just Added Cryptocurrency, Life Hack, Dumpster Fire, and Mansplain to the Dictionary
The English language keeps on changing. For the better? Dear God, no.
Merriam-Webster just announced a bunch of new words they’re adding to their dictionary. So these words are “real” now, I guess . . .
1. cryptocurrency (noun) . . . “any form of currency that only exists digitally . . . using a decentralized system to record transactions.”
2. life hack (noun) . . . “a usually simple and clever tip or technique for accomplishing some familiar task more easily and efficiently.”
3. mansplain (verb) . . . “to explain something to a woman in a condescending way that assumes she has no knowledge about the topic.”
4. hate-watch (verb) . . . “to watch and take pleasure in laughing at or criticizing.”
5. glamping (noun) . . . “outdoor camping with amenities and comforts such as beds, electricity, and access to indoor plumbing, not usually used when camping.”
6. dumpster fire (noun) . . . “an utterly calamitous or mismanaged situation or occurrence.”
87% of People Consider Themselves Busy
I want to say this number seems high, but it really doesn’t. We’re all insane.
According to a new survey, almost nine out of 10 people consider themselves BUSY. 40% say they’re busy pretty much all the time, and another 47% say they’re busy sometimes.
Only 10% say they’ve almost never got a lot of stuff going on.
More Millennials Lost Money to Scams Last Year Than Their Grandparents
NOW who’s gullible, you damn punks?
According to a new report from the Federal Trade Commission, more millennials lost money to scams than their grandparents did last year. 40% of Americans in their 20s fell for some kind of fraud last year, versus 18% of people over 70.
But . . . older people who fell for the scams lost more money. The average fraud victim in their 70s got taken for $621 . . . the average fraud victim in their 20s lost $400.
The most successful scams were fake debt collectors. Identity theft, which includes credit card and tax fraud, was second-most successful.
Subscribe to Mix 1051's Blog!
Get the latest updates on music and celebrity news, contests and flyaways, and more straight to your inbox with our weekly emails.