Four Things You Can Do to Prevent a Hangover . . . and Four Things You Shouldn’t Do Once You Have One
Happy St. Patrick’s Day! If you’re planning on going out and downing a few too many adult beverages to celebrate, here are four things you can do to prevent a massive hangover . . .
1. Drink Gatorade or coconut water. It’s smart to have a glass of water between drinks so you don’t get dehydrated . . . but coconut water or Gatorade is even better. They hydrate you AND replace electrolytes, which are nutrients you lose when you drink.
2. Take vitamins. Hangovers aren’t JUST about dehydration. Inflammation and the production of free radicals in your body also make you feel like crap. Antioxidants help with that, so pop a multivitamin, or drink acai or pomegranate juice before going out.
3. Order a burger instead of a salad. The severity of a hangover is directly related to how you metabolize alcohol . . . and THAT depends a lot on what you eat.
You want to eat a meal that contains carbs, protein, and fat BEFORE you go out drinking . . . and red meat has an especially high concentration of amino acids and B vitamins that help process the negative byproducts of alcohol.
4. Stick with clear liquor. Vodka and gin have fewer toxins and impurities than dark spirits like whisky and rum.
Unfortunately, all the preparation in the world can’t guarantee that you won’t get a hangover. So here are four things you definitely SHOULDN’T do if you end up with one . . .
1. Don’t take Tylenol. Acetaminophen and alcohol are both processed in the liver. So when you mix the two, your liver is forced to work overtime . . . and toxic byproducts can accumulate. And even a little bit of those byproducts can cause liver damage.
2. Don’t drink OJ. It’s not dangerous like taking Tylenol is, but the acidity of the citrus juice might not sit well with your stomach and it could make you feel WORSE.
3. Don’t have more than one or two cups of coffee.
Coffee is a diuretic, so it can dehydrate you even further when you’re already dehydrated. And caffeine narrows blood vessels, which increases blood pressure, so if you have a headache, it could make it worse.
4. Don’t drink more alcohol. It’s true that drinking more the next day when you’re hung over CAN make you feel better, simply because alcohol dulls your senses. But it’s only temporary relief, and ultimately you’re prolonging the agony.
Your body eventually has to process all the toxins you spent all night shoving in it, and drinking more just extends the timetable.
There’s a New Cologne That Makes You Smell Like Kittens
Guys don’t generally wear cologne because they like it. It’s all about attracting the ladies. Which is why this is brilliant: A fragrance company called Demeter just released a new scent that makes you smell like KITTENS.
It’s called “Kitten Fur,” and they describe the scent as, quote, “the olfactory essence of the warmth and comfort [from] just behind a kitten’s neck.”
A four-ounce bottle costs $40 at DemeterFragrance.com. You can also get a sample for $3 . . . a bottle of kitten-scented body wash for $20 . . . or some kitten-scented lotion for $22.If kittens aren’t your thing, their other scents include “Popcorn” . . . “Giant Sequoia” . . . “New Baby” . . . and “Gin and Tonic.”
You Can Now Buy a Ranch Dressing Fountain
You know you’re at a classy event when they’ve got one of those chocolate fountains. Well this spinoff is exponentially less classy . . . but it’s WAY more badass.
Hidden Valley just started selling a RANCH DRESSING FOUNTAIN.
It can hold two pounds of ranch dressing and they say it’s, quote, “the ultimate dip dispensing party companion.”
If you want one, they cost $100 . . . but that includes 12 large bottles of ranch dressing.
Subscribe to Mix 1051's Blog!
Get the latest updates on music and celebrity news, contests and flyaways, and more straight to your inbox with our weekly emails.