Some of us were bumming around the office and realized that it’s been 10 years since Britney’s Incident. Because apparently we don’t have enough work to do.
2007 was a rough year for Britney. She was in the middle of a divorce from K-Fed, admitted into a rehab facility, her dear aunt Sandra died of ovarian cancer, she lost custody of her kids, and of course…
She shaved her head and attacked a paparazzi’s car with an umbrella. Not her best moment.
But despite the fact that she will never be able to live the umbrella incident down, Britney has done VERY well for herself in the last decade. Because she’s a straight-up queen.
2008 TV, Custody, and VMAs
- She regained visitation rights with of her sons.
- She guest-starred on an episode of How I Met Your Mother which was the show’s highest-rated episode at the time.
- She won 3 VMAs including Video of the Year for Piece of Me.
- Her album, Circus, debuted at number 1. This earned her a Guinness World Record for the youngest person to have 5 number one records.
2011 Femme Fatale
- Britney released her Femme Fatale album which also debuted at number one in the US. TWO. Count ’em, TWO number one albums since the breakdown.
- Her Femme Fatale tour grossed $6.2 million after just 10 shows. The all-female tour (which included Nicki Minaj) closed in Puerto Rico after 79 shows.
— Nicki Minaj Brasil (@NickiMinajBraz) May 20, 2017
2012 X Factor
- Britney joined the US version of The X-Factor. Her $15 million salary awarded her yet another record: highest paid TV judge on a singing competition.
2013 Britney Jean and Vegas Residency
- She released her eighth studio album Britney Jean which was executive produced by Will.I.Am. Even though it contained my all-time favorite Britney track Work Bitch and debuted at number 4 in the US, it was her lowest-selling album in the US,.
- This was partially because the album received very little promotion due to time restrictions as she was preparing for her Britney: Piece of Me residency in Vegas.
— Britney Spears (@britneyspears) September 7, 2017
- She appeared on Good Morning America to announce her 2-year Vegas residency at Planet Hollywood which was eventually extended and will close at the end of this year. As of February, the show had grossed $121 million making it one of the most successful Vegas residencies in history.
2016 Role Playing Game and Glory
- She released a mobile role playing game called Britney Spears: American Dream. Clearly she’s very excited about it.
- She was awarded with the Billboard Millennium Award for her influence on the music industry. She also performed a medley of her greatest hits which was her first performance at the VMA’s since her controversial Gimme More performance in 2007 (remember: 2007 sucked for her… A lot).
- She released her album Glory which debuted at number three. Regardless of what anyone else at the office will tell you, IT’S A MASTERPIECE.
In summation: most people only remember that horrible February night in 2007. But she kept her head down, put in A TON of work, and climbed right back on top. Why? Because:
Subscribe to Mix 1051's Blog!
Get the latest updates on music and celebrity news, contests and flyaways, and more straight to your inbox with our weekly emails.